To All The Mom’s

Home/Topics/To All The Mom’s

To All The Mom’s

Home Forums I Take This Occasion To All The Mom’s

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Rana Goodman
    Keymaster

I would like to wish a very happy Mother’s Day to all the mothers out there and hope you all have nothing but great memories of your formative years with your mothers.

I certainly do, like many mothers of my “tribe” my mom was an expert at the art of  “Jewish guilt…..” When ever she wanted me to do something I was adamant about not doing, her closing line would be “do it for me.” It worked every time.

My mother was beautiful, not only in her youth but right up until the day I lost her at 92 years of age. She almost never missed a week at the beauty shop and since she was a wonderful seamstress, making all her own clothes, from simple to stunning..

She was also a great cook until that guy “arthritis” crippled her fingers. She like I’m sure many of us went through the phase of our children saying “my mom doesn’t know anything, only to find our children saying the same. Of course we would also find that coming full circle, as those same children became mothers themselves that line would often change to “my mother did it this way” or “my mother used to say.”

I remember when I was in high school my home economics teacher was showing the class how to hem a garment using tape and machine stitching. I refused to do that and insisted on hemming by hand with a small  “herring bone” stitches.  My teacher reprimanded me and when I insisted that my mother, who was a court dressmaker in London, taught me that well made clothes were always hemmed by hand. Suffice to say I failed that quarter but  not in my mother’s eyes.

Thinking back on the last few years I had with her the things she’d say were often a source of great humor, like the day she was convinced she had won the Publisher’s Clearing House “give-a-way.” She drifted in my office, envelope in hand and said “hey, look at this, I’ve won.”  As I pointed to the line that says, although in tiny print, “you may have won,” she adamantly said “you don’t know what you are talking about” and mumbled as she walked away “bloody fool,” an insult in British slang….. Need I say my laughing at her didn’t go over to well.

I think about my mother all the time, as I’m sure many of you do, all I can say is  I miss her terribly and hope I did as great a job as she in raising my own two daughters.

Dick
    Participant

Rana,

Our entire “crew” at Anthem Opinions wish you and all the other moms…a sincere thanks for giving us every breath we take.
    Dick Arendt

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.