The Passing of Lt. Colonel Mary Jane Hillery

Home/Topics/The Passing of Lt. Colonel Mary Jane Hillery

The Passing of Lt. Colonel Mary Jane Hillery

Home Forums Anthem Voices I TAKE THIS OCCASION The Passing of Lt. Colonel Mary Jane Hillery

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Rana Goodman
    Keymaster

Around 20 years ago, after moving into Sun City Anthem, I met a lady by the name of Mary Jane Hillery, I’m sad to say, she passed away April 12th in her sleep at age 92.

One would never know, when meeting this petite lady that she had such an interesting background.  Both of Mary Jane’s parents were from Bai, Italy, so it was not surprising that she spoke fluent Italian, and quickly picked up English, Spanish and German.

Prior to serving in the armed forces Mary Jane, was the  of the first women to serve as female liaison officers of the United States Military Academy at West Point. Lt. Colonel Hillery was awarded the Defense Superior Service Medal in 1995 by the U.S. Secretary of Defense, which was presented by Governor William Weld at a ceremony at the Massachusetts State House.

Mary Jane was listed in 40 books of “Whose Who” and achieved several awards and nine military medals.

This charming, unassuming lady and SCA resident was a pleasure to know and chat with at the monthly Southern Hills Republican Women’s club. It was an honor to have known her. Her funeral service will be held at St. Frances of Assisi May 9th at 10:00. Lt. Colonel will be laid to rest with full military honors and a 21 gun salute at about 1:00 pm at Palm Mortuary on Eastern Avenue.

Rest in Peace Mary Jane, I was proud to have known you.

GARY THOMAS
    Participant

Rest In Peace, Lt. Colonel Hillery. Thank you for your service.

Lynn Armanino
    Participant

RIP, Mary Jane.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.