The Golden Years…… The Big Lie!

Home/Topics/The Golden Years…… The Big Lie!

The Golden Years…… The Big Lie!

Home Forums Let’s Talk The Golden Years…… The Big Lie!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Rana Goodman
    Keymaster

Perhaps other seniors can relate to this.  It is something if we live long enough we may have to face.

THE GOLDEN YEARS – A BIG LIE

Author  a”collective senior” wishing to remain anonymous

Having been fortunate to have been healthy up until age 80 it is like an old car whose parts begin to wear out and break done.  Some things can be fixed like the two knee replacements and the shoulder surgery made to address what needed to be done previously, getting older and wearing out of other body parts may not be so lucky.  Some activities may have to be addressed by changes that one does not like in order to stay as healthy as possible.

Whoever told us that our senior years would be our “golden years” lied to us and needs to be whipped, tarred and feathered.  It was probably a smart Alec 30 year old who didn’t know what he was talking about.  A hex upon his head!

Between my 60s and 80s that was true.  I was healthy taking only two prescriptions and feeling good.  Then at 81 things changed with my diagnosis.  It meant a life change.  The foods that I loved would be ripped out of my hand and my mouth, as the raven said “never more”.  Being a sensuous creature eating has been an enjoyable activity, the colors , aroma and taste has been an enjoyable activity of living.  Being able to eat whatever I’ve wanted has been a delight and added to my girth.  Now i have to lose the 50 lbs I paid for my indulgence.  I am fighting having to do it but it is necessary to maintain the health that I have.  Like the petulant child being told “no” the senior resents being told what to do to take care of himself.

If I wanted to control my diagnosis I have to be stringent  about what I could and could not eat.  As a Jew I had to put to death the foods that I loved and sit Shiva for the loss.  I ranted and raved in the shower uttering expletives about what I had to do.  Acceptance didn’t come easy!  The injustice!

I had to remember the useful tool l had learned:  the three questions:

What do I want?    To be healthy.

What do I have to do to get there?    Follow the instructions on what foods I can eat.

WHAT AM I WILLING TO GIVE UP TO HAVE IT?  Give up food that is no longer good for me.

My calendar that had wonderful activities like being with friends, going out to restaurants, parties, travel now had events that listed “DR”, Tests, X-rays, medical tests that probed and poked my body whose names were unfamiliar to me and my aging and droopy body that I’m ashamed of, in places that had been covered because they were too personal.

I have limited medical background and information I am reading to educate myself by printing, high lifting and reading to educate myself by printing out hundreds of pages of  from sites like Mayo Clinic and Johns Hopkins are foreign to me.  I have organized this information in a binder to learn and refer to.

My fiance’ has lived successfully with this diagnoses for over twenty years and because of his medical background has had to deal with this.  We are now a matched pair.  He is helpful at holding my hand when I don’t understand what I’m reading and I grumble when he tells me I can’t have something I want to eat.

I have no choice. If I want to stay healthy as possible to stop the progression of this illness.  I must be diligent in following the directions,  but I don’t have to like it.

Patsy McCarthy
    Participant

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!

I could have written most of this myself, but I didn’t.  Truer words have never been said.  Thanks for sharing, Rana.

Patsy

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.