- This topic has 4 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 3 years, 9 months ago by Anonymous.
July 10, 2017 at 1:24 am #3827Rana GoodmanKeymaster“An elderly couple in Shadow Canyon Village recently succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning after they forgot to turn off their car parked in the garage. It apparently ran until it was out of fuel.
Unfortunately the CO detectors in the house also failed to work. It also appears that the homes are not as tightly sealed as we were led to believe when we purchased our homes, and Pulte did not install the passive air vents in any of the garages in Shadow Canyon homes, so the only garage ventilation is around the closed garage door where the seals may not be seated properly. That is insufficient ventilation to prevent accident such as this, so it would behoove everyone in Sun City Anthem to have passive garage vents installed if they do not already have them. Seniors can be forgetful, and this is a tragic example of what might happen, please be extra careful everyone.”
Thank you to Frank Lewis for this up-date. He has purchased some new carbon monoxide alarms.
I did this a few years back when mine went of in the middle of the night and thinking it was was my smoke alarm going nuts since there was no smoke at 3 a.m. I cut it down and went back to sleep. The next morning my son-in-law told me it was the CO alarm and I purchased some that plug-in..
This new one Frank found uses a 9 volt battery and sends a signal at a 7 year mark to let you know to replace it. The brand is First Alert and he purchased it at Lowes.
Frank also alerts that Carbon Monoxide can come from your fireplace, water heater, stove, range hood, clothes dryer, portable heater and indoor grilling among other things….July 10, 2017 at 8:22 pm #3834Mark CookParticipant
WARNING TO ALL SCA RESIDENTS: You can’t see, smell, or taste carbon monoxide. But if you breathe too much of it, it can become deadly within minutes. Carbon monoxide poisoning results in more than 20,000 emergency room visits a year in the United States, and over 500 deaths. I’m very sorry to tell you that my neighbors have been added to that list. There were two other contributing factors, besides the fact that they forgot to turn off their car’s engine when they got home: 1) Their carbon monoxide alarms did not sound; 2) Pulte did not install passive garage vents in any of the homes in Shadow Canyon Village, and probably many other homes in this area as well. I know their CO alarms did not alert them to the impending danger because I unlocked the door for the police and there was no alarm sounding, so I tested mine. NEITHER ONE OF MINE WORKED on the self test function. The batteries were good, and they were receiving power from the house wiring, so the fault was obviously in the detectors. I even took one and held it directly behind my car’s exhaust…it didn’t utter a peep! So I suggest that you test your CO and smoke detectors regularly, and replace them if they fail to test. My new ones reacted immediately to the exhaust gas test with loud chirping.July 10, 2017 at 8:41 pm #3835Jackie FosterParticipant
My home didn’t even come with a CO2 detector in Tall Mesa (only smoke)… no garage vents either. The smoke detectors should be changed occassionally too…they do get tired.July 22, 2017 at 9:20 pm #3883Ann FriedmanParticipant
This is the first time I have received this.I appreciate getting this information.August 1, 2017 at 2:42 pm #3898AnonymousInactive
As your article correctly states, few of us realize that Carbon Monoxide detectors need to be replaced every 5 to 7 years. This is particularly important because detectors made before 2013 did not have end of life warning features built into them. In addition, it is also important is to realize that Smoke Detectors need to be replaced every ten years. Given the age of Sun City Anthem every home needs to replace their smoke AND carbon monoxide detectors now.
In a survey done by the National Fire Prevention Association, their key survey findings found:
• Half of Americans (50 percent) have three or more smoke alarms in their current home.
• Almost one in five Americans who have smoke alarms (19 percent) say the oldest smoke alarm they currently have in their home is 10+ years old.
• Nearly one in five Americans who have smoke alarms (18 percent) are not at all sure how old the oldest smoke alarm they currently have in their home is.
• When asked how often they should replace smoke alarms, nine in 10 Americans (90 percent) did not select the correct answer, which is once every 10 years.
As the former chief of the Community Patrol, I have suggested to both the board and management to hold an annual Home Safety Fair. We could do this in the ball room and have representatives of both the Henderson Police Department and Fire Department give workshops on home and personal safety. In addition, we could highlight the services of the Community Services Group, the Community Patrol, and the Neighborhood Community Watch Program. Last, commercial vendors of home safety devices and equipment could be invited to show residents what is available for them to buy to make their homes safer. I would recommend that vendors be charged a very low or no fee to participate, because I believe that the educational value of such an annual event is so critical to the health, welfare and safety of all our residents.
While living safely in your home needs to be primarily the responsibility of the resident, an annual safety fair to highlight the issues and to educate residents would be a valuable event. Do do this makes for “just good common sense”. The bottom line is to act now and replace all of the carbon monoxide and smoke detectors in your house if you have not done so. To not do this places you at serious risk!
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.