- This topic is empty.
October 25, 2020 at 5:20 pm #5649Rana GoodmanKeymasterReminder From Don Manning, Co-LeaderSun City Anthem Neighborhood Watch Program702-453-1492 email@example.com
2020 VIRTUAL ANNUAL MEETING: Please encourage everyone to tune in to the “virtual” Neighborhood Watch annual meeting that will replace our usual in-person NW annual village meetings for 2020. It will be available on Sun City Anthem-TV from October 29 through November 19, and will be accessible on any personal computer or mobile device at http://www.suncityanthemtv.com . It will also be available on Cox Channel 1960 for a few SCA homes. There will be an introduction by Henderson PD Chief Thedrick Andres, a Q+A discussion with Captain Eric Buck, a review of SCA crime statistics and presentations by our own Emergency Preparedness Group and Community Patrol.
‘TIS THE SEASON … FOR PORCH PIRATES: Each year we see a surge in “porch pirating”. Here is a recent report from one of our Neighborhood Watch village facilitators: I got a phone call a little while ago from (a resident). Her birthday was on Sat. the 17th. She and her son left in the van to go to play at the M, then get food to bring home. Her sister called her today and said why didn’t you thank me for your birthday present. (resident) said she never got it. It was tracked and said it was delivered to her doorstop, 15 mins after they left to go to the M. Conclusion is that it was Porch Bandits; it’s starting. Shown below at * are some precautions to take to avoid pirating of delivered packages.
SCA CRIMES: We continue to experience very low crime rates in 2020, down about 25% versus 2019. Through October 24 we have had 27 crimes (20 thefts, 6 burglaries and 1 robbery). Vehicle crimes accounted for 12 of the “thefts”, one of which was theft of the vehicle. For this period in 2019 we had 36 crimes (17 burglaries and 19 thefts, 4 of which were from vehicles), which was down 38% from the 58 crimes we had in 2018. Vehicle crimes are now the frequent target of opportunity: keep your vehicles in the garage if possible; if you must leave them outside, keep them locked with no valuables or garage door opener inside, and especially have no visible items.
NEW SCA RESIDENTS: We have gained almost 600 new neighbors over the past 1 ½ years! Attached is a list of home sales in Sun City Anthem from April 2019 through September 2020, sorted by village and street. If you have not done so already, please welcome your new neighbors to our community and sign them up for the Neighborhood Watch Program (Of course, while exercising appropriate COVID-19 precautions!) It is unfortunate that these folks have moved into our community at a time when the opportunity to meet neighbors is so limited. Now would be a good time to welcome them. “Welcome to SCA” is always a good conversation opener. You can look up new owner information in the Clark County Property Records by going to the ** below.
Please contact me if you have any questions.
STAY SAFE! This too shall pass!
Don Manning, Co-Leader
Sun City Anthem Neighborhood Watch Program
* PRECAUTIONS AGAINST PORCH PIRATES
1. Plan to be home if you know a delivery is coming.
2. Make delivery requests in the order’s “Special Instructions” to put the item in a secure area.
3. Require delivery confirmation signature.
4. Neighbors also can work together to keep an eye out for deliveries and pick up items when people aren’t home. Arrange with a neighbor to take in each other’s packages.
5. Porch pirates often drive from house to house looking for unattended packages. Don’t ignore a knock or doorbell in case it is someone checking to see if the house is occupied.
6. Going away for holiday, you can place a hold on your package to prevent package theft.
7. The USPS has a service where you can opt into receiving an email each showing letters and packages that are “in the mail”.
8. If it’s not possible for you to be home for delivery, arrange for delivery to a neighbor, a UPS store, (go to ups.com/dropoff)
9. Have packages delivered to an Amazon Locker https://www.amazon.com/primeinsider/tips/amazon-locker-qa.html
10. Use Amazon Key to allow delivery of packages inside your home or garage. https://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=17861200011
12. If you really want to go the extra mile, consider getting a Porch Safe: https://www.thelandport.com/learn-more/how-it-works/
13. Many delivery companies such as USPS and FedEx offer a free service to hold up your package at their terminals or delivery centers for a period of time. To check FedEx delivery options for free online and free USPS mail holding service here to apply for a package holiday hold online without worrying about lost package or package being stolen off the doorstep.
14. Check with local businesses to see if they will receive packages for a small fee.
15. Video doorbells are an excellent deterrent. Over the holidays you should be able to get a good deal from Costco, Amazon or your favorite online store. The Ring Video Doorbell 2 seems to be the most popular. Video doorbells and video surveillance are great deterrents to porch pirating — thieves don’t like to know they’re on candid camera.
16. People also may choose the “delivery pick-up” option when online shopping so they can retrieve packages in person from a post office or similar business, the department said. Pick up the package in the store.
17. Track your package delivery on UPS / Fedex / USPS. Amazon and Walmart and other retailers have package tracking apps. This allows you to know where your package is and when expected delivery is. Sometimes you can reroute the package if you will not be home.
18. Go to You Tube and search for “preventing delivery theft”. The Henderson PD has a good video on this.
** HOW TO ACCESS THE CLARK COUNTY ASSESSOR INFORMATION ON PROPERTIES
Information on properties, such as current and past owners, is available from the real property records of the Clark County Assessor at: https://www.clarkcountynv.gov/government/assessor/property_search/real_property_records.php Under “Real Property Records” click on “Address”. Enter the lowest house number for your street, the rest of the address information, select a record preference, and hit SUBMIT. You will be provided with a list of your neighbors living on both sides of the street. Click on “Show present and prior owners of the parcel” and you will learn the name of the current and prior property owners. If the owner is renting the home, the occupant may be different from the owner of that house.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.