August 3, 2017 at 9:55 pm #3901MARCIA KOSTERKAKeymaster
I have spent the last week trying to reach the appropriate individual(s) at the City of Henderson to secure answers regarding carbon monoxide detectors installed when homes in Phase 3 were built by Pulte in our community. This serious issue came up after the unfortunate death of two occupants of a home here in SCA.
After their bodies were discovered, the question arose as to the reason why some homes had them when they were built and some did not. In addition, there was also the issue of venting in garages where most gas hot water heaters were located.
Phase 3 homes were built fast and furious by Pulte and they couldn’t slap them up fast enough and I began to wonder if inspection by the City was somewhat hap-hazard depending upon the individual inspector. I finally received an answer today and here is what was revealed to me.
After being bounced around on the phone with a promise that someone would get back to me, I finally was able to talk to a Mr. Arbin who is the Assistant Manager of Inspection Services for the city. He looked up my home and also the building codes. It shows that until August 6, 2013 which is the latest revision for codes on residential homes, carbon monoxide detectors were not mandatory. He couldn’t be sure as to the reason some homes built in Phase 3 have them and many others did not. In other words, they may have been installed by the owner once they moved in.
As a side issue, there is nothing in the current codes that requires venting in the garages where most people have their gas hot water heater housed and also park their vehicle(s) as well. Many people are now buying carbon monoxide detectors that plug into wall sockets in their homes as well as placing one in their garage. Some homeowners are also having a vent installed in their garage as well.
The carbon monoxide detectors are readily available at Walmart, Home Depot and Lowes. The good ones plug in and have a battery backup as well. The money you spend to buy them is well worth your safety.August 6, 2017 at 5:43 am #3906AnonymousInactive
Thank you for the research on this, Marcia.September 6, 2017 at 8:34 pm #3990MARCIA KOSTERKAKeymaster
This morning, I received a telephone call from the City of Henderson, Department of Building Codes. He wanted to update the information initially given to me which had prompted the article I initially wrote posted above. It seems that the date given to me was incorrect as to mandatory carbon monoxide installations that construction companies had to abide by. The real date was August 5, 2011.
That still does not alter the fact that phase 3 of SCA was completed well before 2011. This does not alter the fact that most of us were put in Harm’s Way by moving into our respective homes without essential carbon monoxide detectors.
The man went on to say that the City was in the process of updating mandatory regulations for building residential homes. I immediately jumped onto that and strongly suggested that they consider including mandatory passive and/or active venting of every garage for new homes, especially considering the fact that so many homes have gas fired hot water heaters housed within their garages. He thought that was important and said he would pass that idea on to the head of his department.
On an ancillary note, I have noticed many homeowners pulling into their respective garages and lowering the door before their car is stopped and parked. A car is a source of carbon monoxide as well, I have always left my garage door up, pulled into my parking spot, shut off the motor and excited the car. I do not close the garage door until I am ready to enter my home. I think that is a much safer way. I also urge everyone to buy carbon monoxide detectors and place several with their homes and one in the garage. It is better to be safe than sorry and prevent anyone else from dying unnecessarily of this hazard.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.