Reply To: FINALLY AN ANSWER FROM THE CITY OF HENDERSON REGARDING CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTORS

Home/Reply To: FINALLY AN ANSWER FROM THE CITY OF HENDERSON REGARDING CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTORS

Reply To: FINALLY AN ANSWER FROM THE CITY OF HENDERSON REGARDING CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTORS

Home Forums Let’s Talk FINALLY AN ANSWER FROM THE CITY OF HENDERSON REGARDING CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTORS Reply To: FINALLY AN ANSWER FROM THE CITY OF HENDERSON REGARDING CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTORS

MARCIA KOSTERKA
Keymaster

This morning, I received a telephone call from the City of Henderson, Department of Building Codes.  He wanted to update the information initially given to me which had prompted the article I initially wrote posted above.  It seems that the date given to me was incorrect as to mandatory carbon monoxide installations that construction companies had to abide by.  The real date was August 5, 2011.

That still does not alter the fact that phase 3 of SCA was completed well before 2011.   This does not alter the fact that most of us were put in Harm’s Way by moving into our respective homes  without essential carbon monoxide detectors.

The man went on to say that the City was in the process of updating mandatory regulations for building residential homes.  I immediately jumped onto that and strongly suggested that they consider including mandatory passive and/or active venting of every garage for new homes, especially considering the fact that so many homes have gas fired hot water heaters housed within their garages.  He thought that was important and said he would pass that idea on to the head of his department.

On an ancillary note, I have noticed many homeowners pulling into their respective garages and lowering the door before their car is stopped and parked.  A car is a source of carbon monoxide as well,  I have always left my garage door up, pulled into my parking spot, shut off the motor and excited the car.  I do not close the garage door until I am ready to enter my home.  I think that is a much safer way.  I also urge everyone to buy carbon monoxide detectors and place several with their homes and one in the garage.  It is better to be safe than sorry and prevent anyone else from dying unnecessarily of this hazard.