Reply To: SHADOW CANYON COUPLE FALLS VICTIM TO GAS FUMES

Home/Reply To: SHADOW CANYON COUPLE FALLS VICTIM TO GAS FUMES

Reply To: SHADOW CANYON COUPLE FALLS VICTIM TO GAS FUMES

Home Forums Let’s Talk SHADOW CANYON COUPLE FALLS VICTIM TO GAS FUMES Reply To: SHADOW CANYON COUPLE FALLS VICTIM TO GAS FUMES

#3834
Mark Cook
Participant

WARNING TO ALL SCA RESIDENTS:  You can’t see, smell, or taste carbon monoxide. But if you breathe too much of it, it can become deadly within minutes.  Carbon monoxide poisoning results in more than 20,000 emergency room visits a year in the United States, and over 500 deaths.  I’m very sorry to tell you that my neighbors have been added to that list.  There were two other contributing factors, besides the fact that they forgot to turn off their car’s engine when they got home:  1) Their carbon monoxide alarms did not sound; 2) Pulte did not install passive garage vents in any of the homes in Shadow Canyon Village, and probably many other homes in this area as well.  I know their CO alarms did not alert them to the impending danger because I unlocked the door for the police and there was no alarm sounding, so I tested mine.  NEITHER ONE OF MINE WORKED on the self test function. The batteries were good, and they were receiving power from the house wiring, so the fault was obviously in the detectors.   I even took one and held it directly behind my car’s exhaust…it didn’t utter a peep!  So I suggest that you test your CO and smoke detectors regularly, and replace them if they fail to test. My new ones reacted immediately to the exhaust gas test with loud chirping.