SB229 Signed by Sandoval…A REALLY GREAT DAY FOR NEVADA SENIORS

Home/Topics/SB229 Signed by Sandoval…A REALLY GREAT DAY FOR NEVADA SENIORS

SB229 Signed by Sandoval…A REALLY GREAT DAY FOR NEVADA SENIORS

Home Forums Let’s Talk SB229 Signed by Sandoval…A REALLY GREAT DAY FOR NEVADA SENIORS

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Patsy McCarthy 6 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Rana Goodman
    Keymaster

It was a great day for GUARDIANSHIP in Nevada yesterday. Governor Sandoval signed into law SB229, our bill making Nevada the first state in the nation to allow people to name their guardian and hold that nomination SAFE by filing it with the secretary of state in her “lock box”. Now if anyone files for guardianship the first thing the court must do is check with that lock box to see if a guardianship form has been filed.

Previously if a stranger, family member, private guardian, or the public guardian’s office filed a guardianship request on a person it went to family court and there was little to no check to see if the person had made any request in their documents about who THEY wanted to have as their guardian. By the time a formal request was made for guardianship over them they had been deemed to be “incompetent” so whatever the person filing for care over them made was all the family court heard. That can no longer be the case.

Dan Roberts and I worked on this bill with Senator Beck Harris every step of the way and we are so grateful that she kept us informed with the process as it worked its way through the legislature inch by inch right up until the final hours of this session. Senator Harris phoned minutes after passage as we were in the car and I cannot tell you how relieved and excited we were at the same time. I had been holding my breath the entire day thinking, “what if they didn’t vote? Now, it is over, it PASSED, IT IS SIGNED, IT IS LAW!!!!!! Even the governor said it was a really good bill.

We believe the law becomes active October 1 but will confirm the date and publish it on the Vegas Voice web site and here. check it at http://www.thevegasvoice.net

SweetSue
    Participant

Thank you to all who worked so hard to make this bill a reality.

Patsy McCarthy
    Participant

THANK YOU RANA AND DAN!!!!!!!!  Your tireless efforts are appreciated by every Senior Citizen in Nevada.

Patsy

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.